Searching Google With The Google API
In this article we learned how to use the Google API, which is a useful tool for performing searches on Google using their SOAP web service.
We really only covered the most important aspects of the API, but it is useful to know the API returns more data than what we used in our example.
Additionally, there are other procedures in their web service that can be called, for fetching cached web sites and as a spelling tool.
It’s also worthwhile noting that PHP 5 has a SOAP extension which gives it native SOAP support. You could try modifying this code accordingly, to use this extension.
- http://www.google.com/apis – The homepage of Google APIs
- http://www.google.com/apis/reference.html – The Google API reference
- http://api.google.com/GoogleSearch.wsdl – The Google WSDL file
- http://dietrich.ganx4.com/nusoap/index.php – The NuSOAP homepage
- Download a PDF version of this article
- Put your PHP knowledge to the test with our online and iPad/iPhone quizzes
- View or post comments for this article
- Browse similar articles by tag: Google, PHP, SOAP