PhpRiot
News Archive
PhpRiot Newsletter
Your Email Address:

More information

An Update On Composer

Note: This article was originally published at Planet PHP on 20 February 2012.
Planet PHP

This weekend we have been busy hacking on Composer in our office together with Nils Adermann and Volker Dusch. We wanted to push the project forward a bit faster than the odd free evenings usually allow, and I would now like to introduce the changes we made.

Development versions handling

The former master-dev and similar *-dev versions we used to have were causing quite a few issues, so we decided to overhaul that behavior in a way that allowed us to get more consistency and fix a few long standing issues. For example dev versions can now be locked to exact commit revisions, and they will update to the latest revision when you do an update, no need to delete them from disk beforehand.

Basically dev releases are now simply branch names with a dev suffix - for numeric branches which are comparable - or a dev prefix for textual names that are not comparable, like feature branches and master. There is no way to specify the version manually anymore in your repository's composer.json, since that was causing potentially dangerous issues with feature branches conflicting with the original ones.

If your package depended on a master-dev version, you should now depend on dev-master. If your package depended on something like the Symfony2 2.1.0-dev version, this one also is now dev-master since it is in the master branch. Older feature branches like 2.0-dev which is the 2.0 branch and not master are unaffected by this change.

This change will break many packages out there that rely on -dev packages of any kind, and we hope everyone will update their composer.json files as swiftly as possible to make the transition less painful.

The Packagist version database had to be reset for this change, so things will look at bit empty for a couple of hours while everything is re-crawled. None of the packages are lost and you should not have to do anything except having a bit of patience.

Dependency solver stability

Nils and Volker have been doing big progress on bugfixing and testing the solver. Those are mostly highly technical details that I will not dive into here. But long story short many old bugs should be fixed, and then some. It may obviously have introduced regressions, so if you encounter any issues please report them with your composer.json file so we can easily reproduce.

Documentation

Igor has spent quite a bit of time on documentation, which you can see on github for now, and which should be migrated to getcomposer.org soon.

Packagist / GitHub integration

Another great new feature coming from a pull request by Beau Simensen is the ability to let GitHub tell Packagist when you push new code to your repository. This should make package updates almost instant. It should be integrated into the GitHub Service Hooks soon enough, so if you don't want to set it up by hand you can wait a bit, otherwise you can grab your API hook URL on your Packagist profile page, and add it in your repository.

Repositories configuration

It seemed that the way custom repositories are configured was confusing, so we took the chance to make it a bit clearer. Basically names are dropped and it's all stored in a flatter structure that's easier to remember. Documentation has been updated on Packagist.

All in all it has been quite a productive week-end and we will continue working on a few things today.