DZone.com: How to Set up Wordpress on EC2 Using Puppet and Git
Note: This article was originally published at PHPDeveloper on 30 March 2012.
Having started out on a Joyent appliance, migrating to Linode, and finally, to Amazon with a Bitnami stack, we noticed the common pain of manually configuring each of these environments. Bitnami caused us an even bigger headache by being very difficult to update (apt-get doesn't update the bitnami wrapped AMP stack). We decided to get full control of our box by setting up a stock Debian LAMP stack on AWS using Puppet and git to manage our sites. Here's a gentle introduction on how we did it.
He guides you through the entire process:
- Setting up a micro instance on EC2
- Signing up for unfuddle (for git)
- Installing Puppet (standalone)
- Setting up your git repository to point to unfuddle
- The needed Puppet configuration files to get the WordPress instance deployed
Complete code (and commands) are provided in the post.