PHP mysqli quickstart is online!
New in the PHP manual: a mysqli quickstart. You are new to PHP but you know how to code, you know SQL, you know relational databases and MySQL? Then, I hope, this is for you. All you need is a quick overview on the concepts? The rest is in the reference section! Here you go.
The quickstart contains:
- Dual procedural and object-oriented interface:
something pioneerd by MySQL when PHP learned OOP at 5.0 times.
- Connections: how, options, persistent/pooled connections.
- Executing statements: buffered, unbuffered, impact of MySQL Client Server protocol flavour used
- Prepared Statements: what, how, pros and cons
- Stored Procedures: how, parameters, prepared statements
- Multiple Statements: what, security considerations
- API support for transactions
In case you prefer listening over reading there is a PHP MySQL web seminar series on PHP for you (hint: search "On Demand" for more). To please everybody, we are giving a webinar summary in german as well on 18.01.2012, register now.
Please, note that I am inpatient and linking to the PHP documentation teams server: http://docs.php.net/manual/en/mysqli.quickstart.php. The php.net mirrors will need a while to catch up.