Server-Side Magazine: 10 Questions with Facebook Research Engineer - Andrei Alexandrescu
The Server-Side Magazine site has posted an interview (10 questions) with Andrei Alexandrescu, a research engineer currently working at Facebook.
Today we caught up with Andrei Alexandrescu for a "10 Question" interview. He is a Romanian born research engineer at Facebook living in the US, you can contact him on his website erdani.com or @incomputable. We will talk about some of the juicy stuff that going on at Facebook, so let's get started.
Their questions include:
- What's your development setup?
- What do you think of PHP as a language from your perspective, regarding that Facebook was initially written in PHP then transformed to C++ using HipHop for PHP. What are the pros and cons of using C++ over PHP at Facebook?
- Currently, what kind of research do you conduct at Facebook? (or is this confidential?)
- Tell us a little bit about the D programming language, in contrast to C, PHP, Ruby and others. In what fields can someone apply D?
- Also, what kind of advice can you give for developers who are considering to apply to Facebook? What kind of skills is Facebook looking for in a potential candidate. Is it really important to be a graduate CS? What kind of skills do the majority of Facebook employees possess?
Read the full interview for his answers to these and other interesting questions.