WinCache Extension 1.1 for PHP - Release to Web
Today IIS team has published the final release of WinCache Extension 1.1 for PHP. This is the latest stable and production ready version of the extension. The v1.1 has all the features available in version 1.0 plus the following features.
- User Cache API's can be used by PHP scripts to store PHP objects and variables in shared memory. This way PHP scripts may improve the execution speed by storing processed data in the cache and then using it in subsequent requests instead of re-creating the data on every request.
- WinCache Session Handler can be used to configure PHP to store the session data in shared memory cache. Using shared memory instead of the default file session storage helps improve performance of PHP applications that store large amount of data in session objects. The content of the WinCache session cache is persisted on disk so that it is not lost during IIS worker process recycling.
- File Change Notifications - the entries in the opcode and file caches are now updated as soon as the corresponding PHP files are modified on a file system. This is very useful for PHP applications that store its configuration in PHP files - for example Joomla!. Now the configuration changes for those applications take effect right away instead of a 30 seconds delay (default cache refresh interval).
- Lock/Unlock API's - these API's can be used to obtain/release an exclusive lock on a key in the cache.
Install the Windows Cache Extension 1.1 for PHP - RTW
To install the WinCache Extension 1.1 for PHP 5.2 and PHP 5.3, use the download links at the extension's home page at http://www.iis.net/expand/WinCacheForPhp.
The installation with Web Platform Installer is the easiest as it will automatically place the extension binary into proper location and will update the PHP configuration to enable the extension. Also, if you have the previous version of the extension installed, then Web PI will upgrade it. If you install any PHP application by using Web PI then the WinCache Extension 1.1 for PHP will be offered as an optional component.
If you install the extension manually, then follow the instructions at Installing/Configuring WinCache for PHP.
Getting the extension source code
The WinCache extension is not supported by Microsoft Product Support Services. Instead it is supported as any other community PHP extension via the forums, mailing lists and the PECL bugs database. Use the following resources:
- To get help with installation, configuration and usage - WinCache documentation on php.net;
- To ask questions about the extension - WinCache forum on iis.net;
- To report a bug in the extension - PECL bug tracking system.