I sat through a number of sessions while at Zend Con this year and they were all wonderful. As a MySQL person I have to admit a preference to anything DB related - just to give you a heads upa€¦
- Documents, documents, documents by Matthew Weier O'Phinney. I particularly enjoyed that this was focused on the software architectural design and was system agnostic for the document database.
- Technical Debt by Elizabeth Naramore. Her no nonsense discussion and interaction with the audience kept this discussion interesting and engaging. The ideas and concepts discussed were something that every developer and manager should understand.
- Demystifying PostgreSQL by Asher Snyder. I have been wanting to look at PostgreSQL for years, I just never seem to have the time to do it. This was a nice intro to the system and its capabilities which I have to admit, are pretty dang cool.
- EXPLAIN - yeah it was my own talk, but hey - I was there!
- Pragmatic Guide to Git by Travis Swicegood Travis is a gifted speaker that manages to draw you in with his enthusiasm. His clear logical walk through of the basics of Git covers all the commands that a beginner will need.
- Infobright DB by Jeff Kibler This was a talk that I originally went to mostly out of curiosity. Once they started I found myself highly interested (data warehousing and mining is an interest of mine) not just for what they did - but how they did it.
- Welcome to the Dark Side: We have Brownies by Josh Holmes. The talk was informative, engaging, and just all around fun. Turns out Microsoft isn't so bad after alla€¦ I mean - they had brownies even
Umm - slept late and then just practiced my last talka€¦ Since it was on the last set of talks on the last day..
Missed a number of keynotes - did some volunteer work manning the PHP Community booth, but really enjoyed the a€oDriesa€¯ and a€oROIa€¯ ones.
The various parties/after-parties (official and otherwise) were awesome with more then a few hangovers showing up the next day.
And as a minor side note - I also really enjoyed the Running MySQL at Scale tech talk at Facebook while I was there. Learned quite a bit and also got to see Domas again. I missed his brand of craziness.