Become Zend Certified
Prepare for the ZCE exam using our quizzes
When you're ready get 7.5% off your exam voucher using
Eight Weeks of Prototype
- Week 1, Beginning with Prototype: This article covers fundamentals of Prototype, including how to select elements; how to create elements and insert them into the DOM; and how to remove elements from the DOM.
- Week 2, How Prototype Extends Elements: In this article I will show you some of the many ways Prototype extends DOM elements. This will include how to read and write an element's content and attributes, as well as how to modify classes and styles of elements in real-time.
- Week 3, Prototype Data Types: In this article we will look at the various data types available in Prototype, such as Enumerable, Array and Hash.
- Week 4, Event Handling in Prototype: This article will teach you how to respond to events that occur while a user is viewing a web page. This includes handling specific mouse and keyboard events.
- Week 7, Other Prototype Functionality: In this article I will show you some of the other goodies available in Prototype that haven't yet been covered, as well as various Prototype tips and tricks.
- Week 8, A Complete Prototype Example: To finish off this article series, we will implement a fully functioning example of using Prototype as to develop a simple web application. We will create a simple Ajax-powered shopping cart that stores a user’s products in a MySQL database.
All articles have been written using Prototype 220.127.116.11. Since many improvements were introduced to Prototype in version 1.6.0, most code in these articles is not backwards compatible with earlier versions of Prototype.
When you select elements from the Document Object Model (DOM) using the functions Prototype provides, each returned element is extended with extra functionality. In this, the second article in "Eight Weeks of Prototype," I will show you exactly how Prototype extends these elements.
Download This Series
Download all articles in this series in PDF format with all listings and files.
(Approx. $12.00 USD)